760 WJR Also Receives 17 “Excellence” Awards and 7 “Merit” Awards in Multiple Categories
New Country 93.1/WDRQ’s “Broadway In The Morning” Show Wins “Best” Award for “Regularly Scheduled Broadcast Personality or Team”
Keith Bosworth, Chief Engineer, Cumulus Detroit, Honored With MAB’s Carl E. Lee Engineering Award
DETROIT, MI, March 16, 2022 – Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS) announces that Detroit News/Talk radio station 760 WJR was named Station of the Year by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters, in announcing its 2021 Broadcast Excellence Awards. This marks the fifth time in six years that WJR has been recognized as the Michigan Association of Broadcasters’ Station of the Year. In addition, WJR was selected for 17 “Excellence” awards, and 7 “Merit” awards. Nearly every aspect of WJR’s content offerings was singled out for recognition, including on-air, commercial production, community involvement, news reports and specials, sports and play-by-play, promo production, podcasting and even the station’s special broadcasts of “War of the Worlds” and “A Christmas Carol” starring the Cumulus Detroit staff.
In addition, Cumulus Detroit’s New Country 93.1/WDRQ-FM picked up a “Best” award for “Regularly Scheduled Broadcast Personality or Team” for the Broadway In The Morning show, which airs weekdays from 5:00am-10:00am. Keith Bosworth, Chief Engineer, Cumulus Detroit, was honored with MAB’s Carl E. Lee Engineering Award, rounding out Cumulus Detroit’s near-sweep of the 2021 Broadcast Excellence Awards.
The MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards program is Michigan’s premiere broadcasting competition and awards show. Stations from across the state compete against a standard of excellence in various categories designed to showcase the best materials that Michigan broadcasters have to offer.
Steve Finateri, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Detroit, said: “Winning so many awards reflects the depth of talent on this all-star team. Winning Station of the Year is especially gratifying, as WJR celebrates our 100th Anniversary this year! We thank the MAB for this wonderful recognition.”
Mike Wheeler, Operations Manager, Cumulus Detroit, said: “It is a daily honor to watch this talented group of professionals create great radio and serve our city and state like no other station can. The recognition of their work is well deserved.”
The WJR MAB Excellence Awards for 2021 are:
- Morning Show Broadcast Personality or Team – The Paul W. Smith Show
- Commercial – Great Lakes Post
- Community Involvement – WJR Community Involvement
- Feature/Use of Medium – Veteran’s Day Conversation: Guy Stern 99-year-old WWII Vet
- Investigative Story – Oakland County Human Trafficking
- Mini-Documentary or Series – Attack in Afghanistan – Anatomy of a 24-Hour News Cycle
- Play-By-Play Sports – Detroit Lions Play-By-Play
- Special Show Broadcast Personality or Team – War of the Worlds
- Sports – Mike Tirico on the WJR Sports Book
- Breaking News Story – Oxford High School Shooting
- Feature/Use of Medium – Chief Joseph Pfeifer: Ordinary Heroes-A Memoir of 9/11
- Marketing Materials and Promos – MSU Football vs. Michigan
- Mini Documentary or Series – Lloyd Jackson National Apprenticeship Week
- Special Show Broadcast Personality or Team – A Christmas Carol
- Use of New Media (All Encompassing) – TheGreatVoice.com Podcast Page
- Use of New Media (Single Project) – WJR Presents – Top Stories of 2021
For a complete list of winners, visit: https://michmab.com/programs-events/broadcast-excellence-awards/past-stations-of-the-year/.
About Cumulus Media
Cumulus Media (NASDAQ: CMLS) is an audio-first media company delivering premium content to over a quarter billion people every month — wherever and whenever they want it. Cumulus Media engages listeners with high-quality local programming through 406 owned-and-operated radio stations across 86 markets; delivers nationally-syndicated sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming from iconic brands including the NFL, the NCAA, the Masters, CNN, the AP, the Academy of Country Music Awards, and many other world-class partners across more than 9,500 affiliated stations through Westwood One, the largest audio network in America; and inspires listeners through the Cumulus Podcast Network, its rapidly growing network of original podcasts that are smart, entertaining and thought-provoking. Cumulus Media provides advertisers with personal connections, local impact and national reach through broadcast and on-demand digital, mobile, social, and voice-activated platforms, as well as integrated digital marketing services, powerful influencers, full-service audio solutions, industry-leading research and insights, and live event experiences. Cumulus Media is the only audio media company to provide marketers with local and national advertising performance guarantees. For more information visit www.cumulusmedia.com.
Lisa Dollinger, Dollinger Strategic Communication for Cumulus Media, 512.633.4084, firstname.lastname@example.org.